1,800 victims ask President Biden not to attend 9/11 20th anniversary if he does not declassify documents on “terrorist support” from Saudi Arabia



Almost 1,800 victims of the terrorist attacks of the September 11, 2001, oppose President Joe Biden’s participation in any 20th anniversary commemorative event unless he keeps his promise to declassify documents that they believe could show the participation of Saudi Arabian leaders in those crimes.

Lifeguards, survivors and relatives of the deceased issued a statement today asking Biden not to show up at 20th anniversary events in New York, Shanksville (Pennsylvania) and at the Pentagon, Unless I release the documents, which they believe implicate senior Saudi officials in supporting such acts of terrorism,

The group alleges that, as a candidate, Biden vowed to be more transparent and to disclose as much information as possible, but since then his government has ignored his letters and requests.

“We cannot in good faith, and with veneration for the deceased, sick and injured, welcome the president to our sacred grounds until he fulfills his commitment ”, they wrote in a statement obtained by NBC News.

“Since the conclusion of the September 11 Commission in 2004, a lot of investigative evidence has been discovered implicating Saudi government officials in supporting the attacks ”, the statement says. “Across multiple governments, the Justice Department and the FBI have actively sought to keep this information secret and prevent the American people from knowing the whole truth about the attacks ”of 2001.

Among the documents the group is calling for declassification is supporting evidence found during a widespread FBI investigation into the attacks that examined alleged ties to Saudi Arabia and was completed in 2016.

Brett Eagleson, whose father Bruce died at NYC’s World Trade Center, said he and his co-signers “Collectively we are on the verge of a conflict with our own government.”

“We are frustrated, tired and saddened due to the fact that the US government for 20 years has chosen to keep information on the death of our loved ones under lock and key, ”said Eagleson, who is among a group of victims’ relatives who presented a federal lawsuit accusing Saudi Arabia of being an accessory to the attacks. “It shouldn’t take so much struggle… The president of the United States should be with us ”.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment this morning. While the 9/11 Commission report found that Saudi Arabia had been a “troublesome ally”, particularly when it came to sharing intelligence, the investigation did not report evidence implicating that country’s authorities in the attacks.

“Commission staff found no evidence that the Saudi government, as an institution or as individual senior officials, supports or supported Al Qaeda knowingly; However, the lack of awareness of the problem and the lack of supervision of the institutions created an environment in which such activity has flowered ”, the report says.

Saudi Arabia is the Osama bin Laden’s home country, considered the leader behind the massacres of that day, and executed in 2011 by US forces while on the run in Afghanistan.

Almost 3,000 people died in the attacks of September 11, 2001 in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, in the worst terrorist attack in American history. Only 60% of the fatalities of that day have been identified. And many more have died or reported illnesses in later years as a result of the events.





Source link