While it doesn’t take an elite defense to win a Super Bowl, statistics show that weak defenses often struggle to make the playoffs. This article will analyze the ranking of the five worst NFL defenses in 2023, considering their past performance, roster changes during the offseason, and expectations for next year.
This is the Top 5 Worst Defenses for 2023:
5.- Chicago Bears:
- The Chicago Bears ranked 31st in yards allowed per play and dead last in touchdowns last season.
- Although they have invested in free agents like Tremaine Edmunds and T.J. Edwards, their defense remains questionable.
- The lack of pressure and limited catch production is problematic.
While Chicago has reason to be optimistic with their calculated approach, the path to a brighter future may be frustrating
4.- Minnesota Vikings:
- The Minnesota Vikings ranked 24th in blitz rate last season.
- However, with the hiring of head coach Brian Flores, known for his aggressive mentality, expect a dramatic change in their defensive approach.
- While they have some solid players, such as Danielle Hunter, their cornerback group poses uncertainty.
The offense may be key to compensating for a shaky defense, but focusing on blitzing carries obvious risks.
3.- Arizona Cardinals:
- The Arizona Cardinals’ main concern centers on their defensive front.
- With the departure of key players such as JJ Watt, Zach Allen, and Markus Golden, the team needs to find new sources of catch production.
- Their defense ranked a modest 23rd in yards allowed per carry last season, and the uncertainty in the Budda Baker situation adds more pressure.
While head coach Jonathan Gannon has an excellent defensive mind, he is working with a deficit in his first year.
2.- Los Angeles Rams:
- While the Los Angeles Rams have superstar Aaron Donald, the rest of their defense raises concerns.
- With the departure of several key starters, the lack of continuity and experience is a challenge for this young team.
- The depth chart shows no notable additions in free agency, making complementing Donald even more difficult.
While Donald is an exceptional player, he can’t do it alone.
1.- Las Vegas Raiders:
- The Las Vegas Raiders have Maxx Crosby as their standout player, but the rest of their defense has glaring deficiencies.
- The team ranked 26th and 27th in scoring defense and yards allowed per play last season.
- With the loss of key players in free agency, the defensive line, linebackers, and cornerbacks are weakened.
While the offense is exciting, the Raiders will likely need to win high-scoring games to compete for a playoff spot.