Singer Ángela Aguilar finds herself at the center of controversy again due to a video circulating on TikTok, where she talks about the constant comparisons linking her to the iconic Selena Quintanilla.
On several occasions, the 19-year-old has been accused of trying to copy the style of the “Queen of Tex-Mex.”
This is because she has worn outfits similar to Selena’s, such as the iconic purple jumpsuit with glitter that the late artist wore in her last televised concert at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. Angela also wore it during a duet with Christian Nodal as a tribute to Quintanilla.
Social media users have noticed similarities in Ángela Aguilar’s looks, poses, and attitudes, which they consider a clear inspiration in Selena.
This has led to criticism that the young woman has no style of her own and that she is trying to appropriate the personality of the iconic idol of the 1990s to gain popularity among Mexican and American audiences.
However, the alleged attempts to emulate Quintanilla are not limited to her appearance. In 2020, Angela released her first EP entitled “Baila esta cumbia,” in which she performs iconic Selena songs, such as “Como la flor,” “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom,” and “Amor Prohibido,” among others.
The video, which has gone viral on social networks, shows a younger Ángela Aguilar in an interview where she is asked about the criticisms of her similar style to the Queen of Tejano music and about the negative comparisons made to her, for which Pepe Aguilar‘s daughter denies that she is trying to look like her.
In her statements, the member of the Aguilar Dynasty commented a few years ago:
“Imagine Selena trying to be me, well, I wasn’t born when she was singing. Besides, she was already an older lady, I am 16 years old”.
These statements have generated uproar on social networks, and many have pointed out the alleged ignorance of the young woman by referring to Selena as a “lady”, when in fact she passed away at the young age of 23.
The debate over the comparisons between Angela Aguilar and Selena Quintanilla continues on social networks, where users express their opinions on the authenticity and originality of the young singer about the legacy of the iconic Texan star.
Comments from users on social media platforms
In the video circulated on digital platforms, mostly on Tiktok, which already has more than 500 thousand reproductions, Internet users again launched against Ángela Aguilar for her comments to the late Queen of Tex-Mex. Here are some of them:
- “Ni volviendo a nacer”.
- “No, I don’t think she’ll even reach her heels when Angela Aguilar turns 23”.
- “The difference is that Selena was American and loved Mexico. She didn’t go around claiming to be Argentinean when that country doesn’t even know her”.
- “Lo Aguilar, I say pride ahead.”
- “Selena at 23, already all a lady, me at 32, all an old lady”.
- “Selena is unique, and no one can compare her.”
- “Yes, she was a lady because she was married but still a young lady at 23. How could he have made her a “tribute” and called her a bigger lady?”
- “Martha, is that you?”
- “Omg, Angela is very talented. Just because she’s arrogant doesn’t mean she’s not talented.”
- “She’s got the Argentinian thing going for her.”
- “Just imagine, she came from a humble family. She went from the bottom; she wasn’t given anything as a gift.”
- “I’m also 23, so I’m a lady too?”
- “With my 48, I’ll be a mummy then”.