Rio de Janeiro canceled street parades and parties during its world famous Carnival of Brazil for the second year due to the increase in cases of COVID-19 and the threat of the arrival of the variant of the Omicron coronavirus, the city’s mayor said Tuesday.
However, the spectacular parade of Rio’s samba schools, which the public watches from the stands of the city’s Marqués de Sapucai Sambadrome, will continue, unlike last year, with health precautions to prevent the spread of the virus, He said.
The mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes, announced after a meeting with health authorities that the city would suspend street events that attract hundreds of thousands of revelers each year.
“The street carnival, by its very nature, due to the democratic aspect it has, makes it impossible to exercise any type of control,” Paes said in a live broadcast on the Internet.
Brazilian capitals cancel Carnival parades
Other capitals of Brazil They are also canceling their Carnival parades. Last week, the northeastern city of savior announced that he would not hold the event.
Belo Horizonte, the capital of the state of Minas Gerais, It also decided that it will not sponsor or invest in street parades this year, local media reported.
Sao Paulo, the capital of Brazil’s richest state, plans to transfer its street parade to the city’s Interlagos Formula One racetrack, newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo reported.
Cases of infection by COVID-19 they are increasing again in Brazil. The Ministry of Health reported 18,759 new cases of the new coronavirus in the last 24 hours and 175 deaths from COVID-19 on Tuesday.
Some 170 cases of Omicron in the country, up from 32 just two weeks ago, he said.
In AmericanPost.News we will follow the latest news from Brazil like they hospitalized Jair Bolsonaro in an emergency.
Follow us on Google News, Facebook and Twitter to stay informed.