Citywide crisis: 78-year-old man’s fatal encounter at Lewis Ave. residence in Brooklyn marks first of three NYPD shootings

NYPD faces tense day with three separate incidents in Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx, resulting in an elderly man's death and two others injured.

A 78-year-old man who opened a door with a gun in his hand in Brooklyn was fatally shot yesterday by two NYPD officers. It was the first of three shootings involving NYPD in six hours at a building in Brooklyn, a street in Queens, and a subway station in The Bronx.

Uniformed cops encountered the unidentified elderly man after arriving at his apartment in response to a reported robbery in progress at 1:07 p.m., said NYPD Bureau Chief Jeffrey Maddrey.

He added that the man emerged from the 330 Lewis Ave apartment between Hancock and Jefferson Aves. With a gun in his left hand before pointing it at officers. The deadly confrontation in a narrow hallway was recorded on police body cameras, the Daily News noted.

The officers, who did not have their weapons in hand when they knocked on the door, fired seven shots after the man pointed the gun at them, Maddrey said, adding that the deadly encounter lasted more than two minutes from start to finish.

Officers involved in the shooting performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the elderly man, who was rushed to Woodhull Hospital, where he died at 1:55 p.m. “This is a tragic situation,” Maddrey said. “Our officers were put in a life-and-death situation, investigating a crime in progress…We will learn more and, hopefully, find better answers.”

Police were investigating whether a robbery had occurred, and it was unclear whether the victim’s gun was licensed.

About an hour later, violence erupted outside a Presbyterian church in Queens when a 59-year-old knife-wielding man stabbed a security guard. Responding police officers shot him as he lunged at them, the New York Post reported. The incident occurred in the 164th Street, Jamaica neighborhood at about 3:45 p.m.

Related by tag:

After the man fell to the ground in front of the First Presbyterian Church, he held onto the knife and refused to let go. According to NYPD Patrol Chief John Chell, a responding NYPD supervisor administered a Taser, which subdued him.

The assailant and the security guard were transported to area hospitals. Both were in stable condition last night. A knife was recovered at the scene.

In yesterday’s third shooting involving NYPD officers shot a man armed with a handgun inside a subway station in The Bronx at around 7:55 p.m.

Officers responding to a 911 call about a gunman arrived at the 238th Street station in the Broadway, Kingsbridge neighborhood, where they quickly spotted the suspect.

When police officers attempted to stop him, he jumped onto the Metro tracks and ran. At least one NYPD officer fired and hit the man once in hand, police said.

Medics rushed him to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he is stable. Service on the 1 line was temporarily suspended, the MTA posted on Twitter.