Convicted murderer escapes from prison for the second time since 2018 and is treated twice in a medical center without realizing it

Michael Floyd Wilson climbed a 12-foot fence to escape.

Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images

A inmate convicted of killing two people escaped from a Mississippi prison on Sunday, the second time he has escaped from a state lockdown since 2018informed the authorities.

Michael Floyd Wilson, 51, completed his daring escape from the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility by climbing a 12-foot fence covered in barbed wire.reported the Clarion-Ledger newspaper, citing a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections.

Wilson suffered cuts to his hands and arms during the escape and he managed to be treated and released twice from an area hospital without the authorities finding out and capturing himaccording to the report.

The convicted murderer first fled from the South Mississippi Correctional Institution on July 5, 2018.

Authorities captured him two days later.

Wilson is serving a life sentence for a 2014 double murder in Harrison County.

Several staff members at the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility have been placed on “administrative leave pending disciplinary action” following Wilson’s latest escape, a correctional spokesperson told Clarion-Ledger.

A multi-state manhunt is underway after a convicted murderer with ties to the Gulf Coast escaped from prison.

Also known as ‘Pretty Boy Floyd’, Wilson was seen by a driver while walking on Highway 49 on Saturday.

The driver said that ‘Pretty Boy’ told him that he had been in a motorcycle accident. An ambulance took Wilson to a hospital where he gave staff a false name.

Police said Wilson left the hospital Saturday night and later showed up at an auto parts store.

Workers there called the Richland Police Department saying a bleeding man was in the store and wouldn’t leave.

Officers said Wilson, who had not yet been identified at the time, told them he needed to go to a homeless shelter for the night.

Instead, the police took him back to the hospital where he checked in a second time under a false name.

Wilson was released from the University of Mississippi Medical Center and remains at large.

Wilson beat Carmen Dale Edwards to death with a glass ashtray in an apartment in Biloxi. The next day, he attacked Kenneth Gibson with a hammer at his Gulfport home.

In 2018, Wilson scaled the fence at the Stone County Correctional Institution in Wiggins. He was recaptured three days later near Ocean Springs. He was sentenced to life in prison as a habitual offender after that escape.