Former police officer sentenced for murdering a young African American in 2014 would be released from prison next month

Van Dyke was beaten by some inmates when he was transferred to a federal prison in Danbury, Connecticut.

Photo: Rock Island County Sheriff’s Office/Courtesy

Jason Van Dyke, the former Chicago police officer who murdered African-American Laquan McDonald in 2014, would be released from prison on February 3 after having served three years of sentence, as confirmed by the Chicago Sun-Times, since in principle the date of release was listed as February 8.

In 2018, Van Dyke, 43, was sentenced to 81 months in jail for second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated assault, one for each bullet he fired at 17-year-old African-American teenager McDonald as he fled from police. the night of October 20, 2014.

The former police officer abandoned the appeals of his conviction a year after his sentence, to apparently serve his time and flee the controversy in which he has been immersed since the video of McDonald’s murder came to light to lead to the trial that lasted three years, The Chicago Sun Times reported.

Van Dyke hopes to have a privacy measure as soon as he is releasedsaid attorney Jennifer Blagg, who handled Van Dyke’s appeal until 2019 when she opted to drop any attempt to overturn her conviction.

“This case has had a huge impact on the Laquan family, on the city of Chicago, on Jason and his family. Jason accepted the verdict and sentence as it was not appealed,” Blagg stated.

“I do not pretend to speak for Jason, but I sincerely hope that he and his family have privacy as they make this transition, as for Jason he spent most of his time in solitary confinement”Blagg added.

The former officer was eligible for half prison time with good behavior credit upon conviction of second-degree murder.

While awaiting sentencing, Van Dyke was booked into a county jail near the Illinois-Iowa border at the Illinois Department of Corrections, and was later transferred to a federal prison in Danbury, Connecticut, where he was reported to have suffered a beating by his fellow inmates within hours of being placed with the general populationtheir lawyers reported.

Following the incident, he was transferred to a low-security jail in Otisville, New York, but was transferred out of the federal Bureau of Prisons system in November 2019, according to records from the Bureau of Prisons (BOP).

During Van Dyke’s time in prison, his attorneys have said they did not always know where he was serving his sentence, as the Illinois Department of Corrections’ online inmate locator did not list him as an inmate at any state facility, and Danbury authorities ordered the former police officer to be taken into protective custody after the attack. Received at Danbury.

With information from The Chicago Sun Times

You may also like:

• Reveal video of the death of a young African American at the hands of police in Chicago
• Jury convicts Chicago cop who killed Laquan McDonald
• Video of the moment when Police shot a man whose case sparked protests in Chicago