Photo: Engin Akyurt / Pexels
Frozen pizzas and those that you can buy in fast food chains are usually among the unhealthy foods. They are among the foods richest in sodium according to the American Heart Association, provide lots of unhealthy carbohydrates and saturated fat that in addition to contributing to weight gain, inflammation and but also the development of chronic diseases such as heart disease.
Preparing pizza at home is a way to have control of the ingredients and obtain a more healthy, delicious and economical dish than the one you can find in the large pizza chains or in the supermarket freezers.
On top of the fresh skim mozzarella cheese you can top your pizza with a variety of vegetables, choose your favorites. Mushrooms, cheese and tomato make an ideal combination with umami flavorYou can also add bell peppers, olives and red onion for an irresistible pizza.
Your pizza will already have protein thanks to the cheese, but if you like meat on your pizza, there are much healthier options than pepperoni with its high sodium and fat content. Instead You can opt for chicken breast, (it has less fat and more protein than beef), seafood or lean red meat.
Here is a simple, quick and inexpensive pizza recipe suggested by Food Hero from Oregon State University:
(For a 12-inch crust)
-1 ⅓ cups flour (half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour)
-1 teaspoon of baking powder
-½ teaspoon of salt
-½ cup of skim milk
-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the milk and oil, continue mixing until there are no dry lumps of flour and obtain a smooth dough.
3. Place the dough on a clean, lightly floured surface; knead 6 to 8 times, the dough should be soft but not sticky.
4. Turn the bowl upside down over the dough and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
5. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to form a 12-inch circle. Make a thin dough base.
6. Bake the crust for 8 minutes, remove from the oven. Add the sauce and then the toppings of your choice. Start with a thin layer of sauce; too much sauce can soak the crust.
7. Take the pizza to the oven and bake for 12 to 20 minutes until it is a light golden color.
Preparing pizza sauce at home is very quick and easy.
Ingredients: (Makes 4 12-inch crusts) 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce; 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste; 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 of dried basil and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder; 1 finely grated carrot
preparation: Mix the ingredients in a bowl and the sauce is ready to spread on the pizza..
It may interest you: