Photo: Joe Raedle / Getty Images
Probably one of the most popular and iconic guilty cravings and tastes of all time, is the wonderful McDonald’s fries. They are so unique and certainly unrepeatable, that you are probably wondering who wanted to take the trouble to prepare them at home? Especially considering that they are one of the most accessible items on the McDonald’s menu and for just one dollar. However, there is time for everything, while it can be a fun activity at home, the most important thing is that it can be incredibly healthier.
Believe it or not, There are 19 ingredients in the McDonald’s Traditional French Fries Recipe. One of which is a component of silicon, a chemical used to make playdough. Honestly after knowing this, many of us would rather forget it and without a doubt it is a good argument to make our beloved French fries at home.
What is the process for McDonald’s fries?
The first is the first. One of the most important aspects of course is to talk about the raw material, that is, the type of potatoes that McDonald’s uses: a variety of non-GMO Russet potatoes (Ranger Russet, Umatilla Russet and Russet Burbank) along with Shepody potatoes.
Of course, the oil to fry them is an aspect that attracts the attention of many. McDonald’s uses 4 different types of oil to make its French fries: soybeans, hydrogenated soybeans, canola, and corn. The good news is that for this homemade version we will use vegetable and / or canola oil for the first round of frying, later we will add a little vegetable shortening to the mixture for the second round of frying and that is what gives them that unmatched crunchy texture. Normally in McDonald’s they elaborate the traditional process of making potatoes is the following:
- Potatoes are washed and peeled with machines.
- Workers cut imperfections in whole potato pieces by hand.
- The fries are shot through a tube at about 75 MPH through cutting machines.
- The optical strips look at each of the fry and remove the ones with a flaw.
- They are bleached in hot steam water for about 15 minutes to allow a smooth interior.
- French fries are completely dry.
- They are then quick fried for the first time at 400 ° F.
- They immediately go into a 10 ° F freezer.
- Once frozen, they are sent to restaurants.
- Once in the restaurant, they are fried a second time, salted and served hot.
How to make homemade french fries?
Of course, it is a fact that at home we do not have McDonald’s technology with its sophisticated machines, however there are some recommendations that can make our lives easier and one of them is a potato chip cutter (although of course, you can always use a knife). Without a doubt, the most important thing is to follow a couple of steps that are simply essential and that will make a significant difference: soaking the potato sticks in cold brine and frying them twice.
Why soak potatoes in a cold brine?
Soaking potatoes in cold water helps remove starch, which makes them more crunchy. Also, the sugar in the brine prevents them from absorbing too much oil when fried, which also makes them crisp. It is important to leave the potato sticks to soak in the brine for at least 2 hours or until the next day. Remember: the longer you can soak them, the better. Don’t forget to keep them in the fridge while they soak.
Why double fry fries?
Fry the potatoes twice it is the best way to obtain the crunchiest result. The first round of frying cooks and softens the center of the potato, while the second round fries the outside and in fact this is one of the best kept secrets to make them so addictive and delicious.
Homemade McDonald’s French Fries Recipe:
List of ingredients:
- 8 cups of cold water
- ½ cup corn syrup (can with less than 1/3 cup sugar)
- 3 tablespoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 6 large Russet potatoes, about 4.5 pounds
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- Salt, to season
Step by Step:
– Combine the brine ingredients and reserve in a deep bowl.
– Peel and rinse the potatoes with plenty of cold water.
– Cut into strips less than ½ inch. (A potato chip cutter makes it so much easier.)
– While you are cutting, add the potato sticks to the cold brine. Make sure the potatoes are completely submerged. Add more cold water if necessary.
– Cover and place the brine in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight. * The longer you rest, the better.
– After the waiting time has elapsed: drain and rinse the potatoes twice with cold water. Dry them completely with the help of absorbent paper.
– Preheat the oil to 300º, if you have possibilities, use a Dutch oven to fry them. It is also important to have an oil thermometer on hand, temperatures are important to ensure the perfect finish.
– Fry the potatoes in batches for a maximum of 5 minutes. Remove with the help of a slotted spoon and place the potato sticks on paper towels.They will be very soft!
– Add the vegetable shortening to the Dutch oven and increase the heat until it reaches 400º. Fry in batches again until the potatoes are golden brown, be patient they will acquire their color.
– Remove and place on paper towels.
– Season with salt immediately (while they are still hot). Enjoy you will not believe the results.
It may interest you: