Pentagon confirms several Americans killed in explosion near Afghanistan airport

Pentagon confirms several Americans killed in explosion near Afghanistan airport

The number of fatalities and injuries has not yet been determined.

Photo: WAKIL KOHSAR / Getty Images

The Pentagon confirmed the deaths of several American soldiers, as well as Afghan civilians, by an explosion in the vicinity of Kabul airport, in addition to pointing out that there was another attack near a hotel where people who would be evacuated from Afghanistan are staying.

“We can confirm that the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a series of US civilian and (soldier) casualties,” the spokesman said. John kirby. “We can also confirm at least one other explosion in or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate.”

Reuters confirmed with a US official that the first attack was caused by a suicide bomberAlthough no details were given to the terrorist group to which he belonged, but previously the authorities had warned of threats from ISIS-K.

The attack has unleashed an intense mobilization in the White House, where the president Joe biden planned to meet at 11:30 am with the Prime Minister of Israel, Naftali Bennett. No new time has been set for the meeting.

The meeting of the Democratic president with governors, to whom he would give a report on Afghanistan, was also canceled.

The official report of the explosion was made this morning by spokesman Kirby, who has updated the reports on Twitter.

“We can confirm an explosion outside the Kabul airport,” he said.

It is not yet clear if the US authorities had identified the attack, since several hours before the Embassy asked the Americans to stay away from the airport and alerted anyone in the vicinity to “withdraw immediately. ”.

President Biden’s administration is racing against time to withdraw the more than 1,500 Americans who may still be in Afghanistan, as well as hundreds of visa-eligible Afghan allies.

The president established August 31 as the deadline, which was accepted by Taliban leaders, who warned that if the US Army and its allies do not leave the country “there would be consequences”, because the date was a “line red ”.

Prior to the report of the explosion, spokesman Kirby indicated that evacuation operations “will not end in 36 hours,” although that situation could now change.

Videos and photographs from reporters and agencies in the region show the transfer of wounded and bloodied people walking.

Source link