Security footage in East Village captures twelve individuals robbing a young couple near Avenue C

NYPD seeks twelve suspects after Manhattan couple faces robbery near Avenue C; community expresses shock and concern.

A Manhattan neighborhood was awakened to a disturbing incident in the early hours of a recent Sunday. Officials are urging the public to assist in identifying twelve individuals connected to a robbery in East Village. These suspects, captured on security footage, are believed to be responsible for robbing a young couple on East 12th Street.

According to the NYPD, the incident occurred at 3:47 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 17, outside of 625 East 12th, close to Avenue C. The victims, a 22-year-old woman, and a 23-year-old man, had just exited a bar at Eighth Street and Avenue C. They were accosted by the group only four blocks away. Reports from PIX11 News state that at least one member of this criminal group brandished a firearm during the encounter.

“Give me your stuff,” demanded one of the perpetrators, as recounted by the police. Following this, members of the group forcibly seized the couple’s personal belongings, including cell phones, purses, wallets, and debit cards.

Community reacts

For residents of the area, the incident has been a jolt to their sense of security. “It’s crazy. My kids go to school right here,” expressed one concerned parent who chose not to disclose their identity. “Living here in this neighborhood, you want a nice place for your kids to attend school. It’s crazy.”

Read more:

A resident, after examining the photos shared by the police, remarked, “They’re not from around here. People around here have a certain attitude. They look transient like they’re just passing through.”

Larry, another neighbor, echoed a similar sentiment, “This neighborhood is good. You can tell who’s who. I don’t know any of these people at all.”

The female victim sustained minor injuries during the incident. However, both she and her companion declined medical treatment at the scene. Officials have stated that the group of criminals fled the scene on foot, with their direction of escape still unknown.