Photo: Webster2703 / Pixabay
There are several ways to completely delete the files accumulated in a WhatsApp chat. Each of them represents a strategy to improve the storage of the phone or device where this application has been downloaded, which can be affected by the large amount of information that we share daily through it. The simplest way is usually represented by the option “Empty chat”, but there is another procedure, a little more complex, to delete photos, videos and gifs that we have shared on WhatsApp without affecting the messages.
How to delete photos, videos and gifs in a WhatsApp chat
one. Go to WhatsApp on the home screen of the phone or device. Press on the icon to open the application and have access to all the conversations.
2. Once inside, locate the chat whose files we want to delete completely and click on it. The procedure should be repeated in case you want to delete files from other conversations.
3. Once inside the chat, click on its name or on the photo to access the corresponding information.
4. All the information related to the contact or group and various options will be displayed, from which we must choose “Files, links and documents”.
5. When we click on that option, WhatsApp will show a whole gallery of files, links and documents that have been shared so far, both sent and received. These files are constantly uploaded as a backup of the conversation. To start removing them, click on the “Select” option located in the upper right corner.
6. Once the “Select” option is pressed, the application will allow you to choose all the files that need to be deleted. It will only be necessary to select all, month by month, to eliminate them in a single step.
7. Once all the files have been selected, just move to the lower right corner to locate the delete button, identified with a trash can icon. Click on it to continue.
8. The application will display a menu of options to confirm the user’s decision. Press “Delete for me” to delete all selected files immediately.
9. Once all files are deleted, the application will report that there are no longer any shared items in that chat. That way we will know that they have all been eliminated.
10. Once the photos, videos and voice notes shared and stored in the “Files” tab are deleted, we can go further and repeat the process in the “Links” and “Docs” tabs. When the process is complete, the chat or group will be completely empty, allowing the storage capacity of the phone or device to increase.
Although this is the recommended procedure, because it allows us to view the files before deleting them, WhatsApp also removes all this information if we empty the chat directly from the application’s home screen. We just have to move the conversation to the left, click on the three dots and choose the option “Empty chat” as shown below.
Another option, much faster, to delete files in WhatsApp is to delete the conversation completely. It is important to note that these procedures do not delete the files contained in the phone of the person with whom we have established a conversation through this application.
You may also like: WhatsApp: step by step, how to know who sees my status
WhatsApp: how to delete the chat that occupies the most memory on your phone
How the theft of WhatsApp accounts works and what to do to avoid it
Cell phones on which WhatsApp will stop working as of January 1, 2022