Photo: Olesia Bilkei/Shutterstock
It is common for people to keep a pitcher or glass of water on their bedside table to hydrate themselves if they feel thirsty, to take medicine, or to drink in the morning. There are times when the water can taste funny.
The strange, bitter or rancid taste is one of the signs that may be indicating that something has changed in the water that you let stand. The rancid taste in water that has sat for a long time may have developed from acidic compounds.
“When tap water sits overnight, it is exposed to air, which allows carbon dioxide, which is present in the air, to dissolve in the water”explains Dr. Kelly Johnson-Arbor via Well and Good.
The longer the water sits out in the open, the more acidic compounds develop and change the flavor of the drink.
“When there is excess carbon dioxide in drinking water, we taste more carbonic acid, since the carbon dioxide is converted to carbonic acid…” adds Johnson-Arbor.
The unpleasant taste caused by excess carbon dioxide can be unpleasant, It is not dangerous for health.
Carbon dioxide is present in several popular beverages such as carbonated water, soft drinks, and beer. However, in excess, carbon dioxide can negatively affect flavor.
Water can be contaminated even when the bottle is closed
Clearly, leaving a glass or pitcher uncovered exposes the water to dust and insects. However, water left standing for long periods of time it can also become contaminated with bacteria even when the jar or bottle is closed.
When we put our mouth on the bottle into the bottle, sweat, dust, skin cells and even traces of nasal secretion are transferred. Saliva also carries bacteria. “If it’s left to incubate for hours, that could contaminate the water and make you sick by reintroducing that bacteria,” says in Reader’s Digest Dr. Marc Leavey, a primary care specialist at Mercy Medical Center in Massachusetts.
To avoid bad tastes in the water and reduce contamination. It is advisable put a lid on the container or use a closed water bottle; replace the water periodically and wash the containers daily; and avoid bringing your mouth close to the bottle, instead serve in a glass.
It may interest you:
–Why bottled beer tastes different from draft beer
–How to ensure leftovers are safe to eat
–Why it is not safe to use hotel mini-fridges